A project management consultant plays the role of a planner, advisor, and a project management team leader to conceptualize and implement solutions that relate to quality or process improvements.
Project management consultants are valuable assets to any organization as they enable the stakeholders of a project to identify and rectify inefficiencies in processes and workflows.
Check out the video below that explains the basics of project management.
Related Learning: How simplilearn’s PMP certification can benefit your career in 2023?
Project management consultant duties often involve managing a number of different projects simultaneously, which can be either enterprise-wide initiatives or business-specific projects.
In this article, we’ll give you a clear idea of project management consultant jobs, the responsibilities of a project management consultant, project management consultant salary trends, and the skills needed to become a successful project management consultant.
Who Is a Project Management Consultant? An Overview
A project management consultant brings specialized knowledge and skills that empower businesses to make informed decisions throughout the lifecycle of a project, from the planning stage to completion.
Project management consultants are not only responsible for implementing project management plans for the successful execution of projects, but they are also accountable for delivering projects on time, within the budget and resources allocated.
Besides putting a project management strategy in place, managing budgets, and utilizing resources efficiently, the project management consultant role also includes several other factors, such as monitoring the project management team, coordinating with key stakeholders, identifying project risks, and developing innovative solutions that help achieve organizational goals.
Typically, a project management consultant analyzes business-critical data to identify inefficiencies and trends in projects, which prevents issues from arising, enabling seamless project execution. Creating and implementing contingency plans, defining roadmaps, and providing periodic recommendations are also common tasks that fall under the project management consultant role.
The Job Description of a Project Management Consultant
A project management consultant must have adequate knowledge of the tools and techniques needed to execute projects efficiently and cost-effectively. In addition to planning, organizing, delegating, influencing, and leading the project management team, other crucial responsibilities of a project management consultant include:
- Getting familiar with the client’s business environment in order to lead projects effectively
- Coordinating with relevant stakeholders, both inside and outside the organization
- Allocating tasks to the project management team and providing regular guidance to team members
- Ensuring the scope and schedule of projects are achievable within the given time and budget
- Undertaking periodic reviews to make sure that projects are on track
- Updating project documentations on a consistent basis and conveying them to the management
- Developing positive relationships with associates and clients
- Defining the structure of a project, its goals, and resource requirements
- Applying theoretical, managerial, and technical skills to fulfill identified objectives and deliverables
- Implementing a solid project management strategy for task interdependency
- Consulting issues associated with a project with the project management team, clients, and other interested parties
- Managing project risks, contingency and mitigation plans
- Maintaining high team performance and productivity
Project Management Consultant Skills
Essential project management consultant skills that today’s hiring organizations seek include:
- Exceptional analytical skills
- Proficiency in project management tools and software
- Strong leadership and motivational skills
- Experience in leading both virtual and physical teams
- Ability to collaborate with diverse stakeholders in a variety of project environments
- Excellent time and cost management skills
- Deep organizational knowledge
- Superb problem-solving and resource planning skills
- Expertise in creating project reports
- Solid interpersonal skills
- Efficiency in managing and prioritizing tasks
- First-class verbal and written communication skills
Are you looking forward to making a mark in the Project Management field? If yes, enroll in the Project Management Certification Program now and get a step closer to your career goal!
Project Management Consultant Salary Trends
Multiple studies reveal that enterprises are facing an acute shortage of skilled project management consultants, which is driving the demand and also the project management consultant salary. A country-wise overview of the project management consultant salary is furnished below.
Choose the Right Program
Level up your project management skills with Simplilearn’s comprehensive courses. Gain practical knowledge, industry insights, and globally recognized certifications. Take charge of your career and achieve project success with Simplilearn!
PMP® Certification Training Course
Post Graduate Program In Project Management
Geo All Geos All Geos All Geos University PMI Simplilearn University of Massachusetts Amherst Course Duration 90 Days of Flexible Access to Online Classes 36 Months 6 Months Coding experience reqd No No No Skills you wll learn 8+ PM skills including Work Breakdown Structure, Gantt Charts, Resource Allocation, Leadership and more. 6 courses including Project Management, Agile Scrum Master, Implementing a PMO, and More 9+ skills including
Project Management, Quality Management, Agile Management, Design Thinking and More.
Additional Benefits -Experiential learning through case studies -Global Teaching Assistance -35PDUs -Learn by working on real-world problems -24×7 Learning support from mentors -Earn 60+ PDU’s -3 year course access Cost $$ $$$$ $$$$ Explore Program Explore Program Explore Program
Take Your Steps Into the Project Management Consultant Career Today!
Strategic Project Management, Business Analysis, Project Risk Management, Process Improvement, and Consulting Management are some of the popular project management consultant jobs on the market that are available to a trained project management consultant.
A bachelor’s degree in BA, project management, or any other related discipline can help you kick-start your career as a project management consultant. However, to quickly fill talent gaps, major employers today are increasingly preferring to recruit candidates with an industry-recognized certification from a world-leading institution, for instance, Simplilearn.
Simplilearn – the world’s #1 online bootcamp and certification course provider – offers a PMP Certification Training Course that places an increased emphasis on strategic and business knowledge to enable students to gain a holistic understanding of the core project management competencies.
Sal Celly has about 20 years of experience in cloud computing. To become a more valuable resource, he took Simplilearn’s Post Graduate Program in Cyber Security, and the Project Management Professional (PMP®) course to help gain both theoretical and practical knowledge to better guide clients. Checkout his full story on Simplilearn PMP reviews!
The career-focused PMP Certification Training Course delivers experiential learning via different case studies, provides students with access to digital materials from PMI, offers 4 simulation tests with 180 questions each, 35 contact hours, and a 100% money back guarantee. What are you waiting for? Enroll now to get certified in a few weeks.